Corona Virus / CoViD-19 Impact on Sailing and the Navy Patuxent Sailing Club
29 June: As an update, CO NAS Patuxent River has upgraded HPCON to B. The following rules apply effective immediately:
Current event status:
- Half of tables and chairs will be removed from the clubhouse and patio, or wrapped in plastic wrap to comply with the 50% occupancy rule.
- All transactions will be cashless.
- Face coverings will be worn by everyone indoors, including the cabin of a boat. They may be removed when outside and beyond 6 feet from another individual.
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources restrictions that are in effect for recreational boating activities, including motorized and non-motorized vessels and personal watercraft
- Food and Beverage operations will be in accordance with MWR HPCON B measures.
- Events, lessons and rentals are permitted when Reset Criteria Gates 1.0 and 1.1 are green, which generally means symptom and case testing trends have remained on a downward trajectory for the preceding 14 days, or are stable at a very low level. Reset Criteria Gates are updated weekly and available by calling the EOC or the base CDO.
- All rental equipment will be cleaned and disinfected between users.
Commodore, Navy Patuxent Sailing Club
- Social Sailing -- A Club Ops Skipper can put a social sail event on the calendar, but must adhere to rules above.
- Training -- Mike Basham is updating the Training calendar. Look for open events on the Event Calendar.
- Racing -- Current racing series is Zanhiser's Wednesday night which began 6/10. Already on our event calendar and open for signups. We are limiting race crew size to 6, including Skipper. Per above, bring and wear masks.
- Rec Sailing -- Subject to above limitations.
Announcing Free Sail Training for E-5 and below
We are excited to announce that effective immediately all E-5 and below may join the Navy Patuxent Sailing Club at no cost. As an E-5 and below member you automatically become part of the Enlisted Sail Training Squadron (ESTS) and can receive basic sail training on the Catalina 16.5' keelboats, ultimately receiving your A-Mate/B-Skipper sailing qualification which will allow you to sail the Catalina 16.5' keelboat on the Patuxent River. Additionally, ESTS participants can receive crew training and qualify (again free of charge) on the Luders 44' yawls, ultimately achieving a racing crew endorsement to their sailing qualification.
For more information on the ESTS A/B sailing qualification, go here.
To join the Navy Pax Sailing Club, please go to the signup page here.
To sign up for ESTS Training Events, go to the Event Calendar and look for "ESTS" in the title. Only ESTS members will be allowed to sign up for these events.
Added benefits of joining the Navy Patuxent Sailing Club (for all members):
- 10% discount on already low recreational sailboat rental rates
- Early registration for sail training opportunities
- Free Racing in the Luders 44 for qualified members
- Social events sponsored by the Navy Patuxent Sailing Club
- Multiple opportunities to learn about sailing, sailboat maintenance, sailboat racing, sailboat cruising, and anything else you may want to learn before you buy a sailboat
|NAVY PATUXENT SAIL CLUB
Tim Holland, Commodore
The Navy Patuxent Sailing Club (NPSC) is a non-profit private organization operating aboard Naval Air Station Patuxent River, MD in support of the base's Navy Recreation Sailing Program. It operates the majority of MWR sailboats, offers ASA certified sail training and is affiliated with the U.S. Naval Sailing Association (USNSA).
Membership in the NPSC is open to military (active duty, retired, and reserve) personnel and their dependents, Civil Service employees, and contractor personnel with access to the Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Southern Maryland.
Club meetings are held the second Saturday of every month at 10:00AM at the clubhouse next to the marina office, West Basin Marina, NAS Pax River. See our Event Calendar for details and updates. Also see Who We Are for a list of club officers, contact information, and directions to the marina.